23 June 2010

Experiments in Headlessness

This is my favorite skirt.  It's made of heavy brown jersey, constructed quite simply with a waist yoke and a long, slightly wrapped drape.  According to the label it's made by "Lux" and is largely polyester and rayon. 

I got it at a charity shop in Tacoma for $4, about six years ago.  The only thing I know about its former owner is that she put it in the dryer: the jersey is heavily pilled.  I suspect she was as short as me, or shorter. 

I wear this skirt approximately every day when I'm in my house.  I like it because it is slightly glamorous and romantic to go about in a long skirt instead of sweatpants or jeans, and because it occludes my legs, which I consider overly sexual.  I've seen a few similar skirts in online Islamic clothing stores, and that feels slightly glamorous and romantic, too.  However, going up and down stairs in this skirt is a constant worry, especially when I am carrying something. 

I've worn it outside the house a few times, but I don't usually because it drags along the ground, and it is heavily pilled, and because it is special to me and I find I derive psychological benefit from armoring my precious self with less personal clothes when I go out in the world. 

I also like, though I almost never take advantage of, the transformative potential in such a simple garment with so much fabric.  I occasionally use it as a coverup after a shower. 

I am resolved to create more of my own clothes and buy less, to be a few threads less-entangled in consumer capitalism.  One of the things I will do when I'm comfortable sewing and serging jersey fabrics is make dozens of copies of this skirt in varying lengths and colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment